Monday, February 6, 2012

Phase 5

1. Near Field Communication aims to simplify our lives
Home: ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com/?tag=header;header-pri)
Article: http://www.zdnet.com/news/near-field-communication-aims-to-simplify-our-lives/6275733

Credibility: ZDNet is a big, popular website for news and analyses of technology.  This article lists the author with a biography and it was published recently in August of 2011.

Reflection: I think this article is good for my audience because it takes one of the many benefits of NFC and discusses it in detail.

Response: In the article "Near Field Communication aims to simplify our lives" Ayman Ashour talks about how he thinks having NFC enabled phones will help to simplify our lives.  Ashour explains how irritating it gets to need to remember lots of passwords or PINs, and have to carry around things like all your credit cards, loyalty cards, tickets and your passport.  He says that just about all of the hassle of needing to remember and carry around all these can be eliminated withe the use of the up-and-coming technology, NFC.  I completely agree with this if for no other reason, personal experience. It gets very annoying for me to have to remember all the different passwords have for the 100+ online services and accounts I have or use.  Also, when it comes to those loyalty cards? Ugh! Gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, gym memberships, the list goes on! You have to dig through your wallet or fumble through your key-chain until finally, finally, you find the right one.  I work at a grocery store and people constantly complain to me about have to have all these cards for everywhere and how they can never find them. So with one simple thing to hold all that different information, like your phone, it would absolutely make life and daily routines so much easier and less of a hassle. I think Ashour is right on when he tells us how NFC will simplify our lives.

1 comment:

  1. For your credibility statement you were right on target. I would like to see your statements of usefulness get just a little more sophisticated,expanding to 2-4 sentences. You were able to identify how the source narrowed in on one angle of the topic. Next, you can articulate how that's going to affect your audience. For example, I think the article shows how NFC fits into our cultural expectations of convenience. I would imagine that will be the #1 marketing push used for the technology.

    I liked your response. Certainly, you identify a point of frustration for many individuals. Multiple passwords are problematic; much like you see grocery store customers fumbling about for their discount cards, I often see students forgetting their passwords. And, don't even get me started on discount cards! My keychain is a ridiculous size because of them.

    ReplyDelete